Thursday, December 11, 2008

Journal entry #7

In this essay, Orwell suggests that the English language is on the decline because the people who use English are misusing the language. What sort of things does he mention as proof that the English language is in trouble?

The trouble english language is in is that many bad language like slang is messing up the language and english lacks the passion of lets say french or spanish.


Orwell wrote this essay almost 60 years ago. Do you think the English language is in a better or worse condition than when Orwell wrote his essay? Can you think of modern examples of how people misuse language?

The english language I believe is worse because of all the slang we have and lack of teaching in certain areas, texting is really hurting grammar of english language.


What do you think of Orwell’s list of rules to improve your writing? I dont agree with it that much maybe because i dont write like that but it could be helpful to some people.

What do you think he means when he suggests that one should focus on “pictures and sensations” before one sits down to put words on the page? Have you ever done this? Does it help you write better?

I think he means find a picture that shows how you feel and then you can pick the perfect word to describe it, I dont think it will help me write because I free lance then I put it together.

No comments: